Monday, March 7, 2011

Elk Lake Spring Sprints March 6th

I entered in a Double (two-person sculling) in with Andy Guiry, a fellow VCRC training partner, in the Sunday race. We practiced once together... the idea to race the double didn't present itself until the week before the race. On Thursday morning we had a practice session the week prior to the race and felt decent (In my mind). My technique had to step up to row with an experienced and very accomplished athlete.

Turns out we were going to be racing against some real competition. In direct quote by Andy "we are racing the two of the fastest doubles in Canada... so it should be a good race. I hope they are eating their wheaties 'cause they aint gonna know what hit 'em" We entered into the heavyweight race (over 165lbs) because Andy has been building muscle lately and wouldn't be able to make weight. I felt it was going to be just good experience.

The race was enjoyable, a bit of a side-tail wind with minimal waves on the water. I ate my honey-drop my mother gave me minutes before the start of the race - maybe a boost of energy!

Side note: Andy recommended we wear matching clothes... So I wore black like he said. But, instead of wearing ALL black, I wore the brightest most flamboyant red-tights I could find (or my clearance rack purchase).


Watch it:


No comments:

Post a Comment