Sunday, March 27, 2011

World Record Attempt - National Team LW!


Recently, I have been completely surprised and astonished that the National Rowing Team, Lightweights (LW) have asked me to join them in an attempt to break a World Record: 100km under 1.24s/500m split!

Check this out.

Now, when I first heard about this possibility that I could be invited to join I was obviously really excited but, in all seriousness, I was secretly worried that I wouldn't be able to even get near the power that is needed to hit a 1:18-1:20/500m split. I went all alone to the erg-room at the boathouse one afternoon and just pulled and pulled as hard as I could...


....turns out I could just hit 1:21 on my own. I then went to a practice run of 2x2km at WR pace with the LW guys at PISE on Thursday. I was a bit shy and didn't want to participate in the fear that I wouldn't even hit the pace or screw up with something else. But, with adrenalin pumping and taking the lead from the other guys I was able to pound out some high speed (low split) intervals. On Saturday (March 26th) I joined the LW again for a 20km trial. If we (I mean the national team and me) can hit the WR split (1.24/500m) for 20km, then there is no problemo for the next 80km. Not sure how much of reality it is, but I enjoyed it.
Watch the video:




The WR attempt is on Wednesday, March 30th Downtown Vancouver @ Ringside Bar/Bentall Centre Athletic Club. 9am start. If interested, please donate to Canadian National Rowing.



No comments:

Post a Comment