Sunday, August 7, 2011

Ride the Hurricane

A road bike ride from Port Angeles Ferry Terminal to the top of Hurricane Ridge, Washington. Today, Aug. 7th, the 17mile road will be closed to cars! Only cyclists can head up between 7am-12pm in an annual fundraiser to keep the road open for the entire year. The money raised goes towards the snowplowing needed in the high alpine.




This is a community "fun ride" not a race. From the Port Angeles Community

A rower, Josh Morris, whom I have met a few times in the past year was interested in heading up with me. We caught the early ferry (Blackball) to Port Angeles from Victoria, departing at 6:10am. We arrived into America and proceeded through US customs with no problems, and continued about 2miles up the road to the Ranger station at the base of the hill. I dropped my pack and extra layers at the bottom and just went race-light, one poly-pro longsleeve and bike shirt, shorts. I was plenty cool on on the ascend and warm enough on the descent. We started easy and after 10min started pushing the pace. All said, 1:42 to the lodge (5200ft) from the Ranger station, or 1:11 from the toll both to the lodge. Josh and I continued on a goat path past the lodge up to Hurricane Hill view point. The top elevation was 5757 ft. I really enjoyed this ride. A good challenge with a steady climb all the way up, actually not one flat spot the entire 17miles. New and clean pavement made for easy rolling and comfort on the screaming descent. I will do it again.

1 comment: