Monday, April 4, 2011

Dueling over a Grand! Part II

So, Day 2 of this exciting regatta was an early start... Sunday morning with the first Race at 7:05am. I raced Fraser Berkhout - possibly the fastest single in Canada (other than Malcom Howard) I put forward the cleanest most powerful 1000m race I have in a long time. I felt really good about my effort - but, I lost. It was close from the start and Fraser only stayed 2-3m ahead of me the whole way. Now, In my mind, he was exerting full effort and I was very close to beating him. But, in probable reality he was just conserving energy for his next races so he didn't want to just light me up (in a way that he probably could).

My second race was 3 hrs later and I raced a fast light-heavyweight (or a heavy- lightweight for that matter) he was a nice fellow from Seattle, who was also in an attempt to race with the National team (US). The wind picked up prior to the start, and I knew I would have to really be smooth and fluid in this race. Within the first 50m I had caught two bad strokes almost crabs and was worried he was going to pull away from me. But, he didn't and we stayed within 1-2m of each other the whole race. In the last 300m I really tried to make a move, however, I just didn't have any juice left and was completely drained for the finish. Next time!


Overall - I enjoyed this race, my first experience in the single and really putting it all on the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment