Monday, August 29, 2011

ONE YEAR AGO

 

One year ago - On August 26th, 2010 I arrived in Victoria, BC. A few days prior, I had packed up my life, at least what gear I thought would be important for the next stage of my life, and headed west. I literally drove to the end of the road, Mile 0 of the Trans-Canada highway. And beyond that, I drove all the way to wild west coast of Vancouver Island. My car, loaded down, is seen here at the Sooke Spit, looking out towards Japan/Russia.
This momentus day, also marks my first time in a single sculling boat. I joined in to the Victoria City Rowing Club (VCRC) group row 5:30-7:30am Monday through Saturday, for the next year.

I think back on the things I learned. First, staying upright in the boat (I flipped three times that first month) then on to getting my technique decent enought that I could keep up with the training group. I also thought of the hilarious mistakes I made thinking that I was doing the right thing, such as putting my seat on the slides with the indent forward...learning 10 minutes later that the indent is supposed to be backwards and I had just sustained a new blister in a location previously thought impossible. Or, when I grabbed two port sided blades and tried to row with one on port and one on starboard (incorrectly).

One last thing. I'm more excited now about the future possibilities than I even thought obtainable a year ago. I can't believe I put this plan together one day in Oregon while at Univeristy, a short-term/long-term goal setting session, and it is all coming true. I just needed to break down the goals into tiny obtainable steps.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment