Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The First Day of Spring (but still Winter)



The weather as of late has been anything but nice. For the past fortnight we have received constant gusty cold winds followed by a glimmer of sunshine. There has been no consistancy and it is very hard to predict and plan ahead for what to wear out in the elements. The fact that the storms have brought in lots of wind, the water surface has been more often rough and white-cappy than smooth. 

I know this sounds like a large complaint but I'm ready to move on with winter and get into spring. Today, on the first day of spring I was optimistically ready for something glorious.  Today we had snow and hail coming in from a chilly arctic North wind. I have a stubborness to push through and finish the task at hand but today I turned around and let mother nature win.   Now, a recent trip to the wild-west coast of Vancouver Island, I was able to see true storm watching at its finest. Large waves building up from across the Pacific to crash on shore creating a symphony of power.  Our little Elk Lake has nothing on the shear magnitude and on the might Pacific. Maybe someday I could row across an ocean? Which reminds me - check this out with Adam  Kreek and OAR Northwest and circumnavigating Vancouver Island by row boat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment