Saturday, October 13, 2012

Next Adventure: Cyclocross



My wife (the best) surprised me with a wonderful gift that I never thought I would ever see... A new cyclo-cross bike! This is something I have been bitching talking about for a long time. I looked at this exact bike in mid August just as I was finishing full-time rowing and was excited to get into a new sport.  But, as a recent change from serious athlete I felt I couldn't go and buy something new after I just took a year off full-time work.  So, I held off an decided to stick with my 1994 GT Force road bike for the time being.  Little did I know, that she would surprise me with the bike for my 30th birthday!


Cross on the Rock is a local series all over the South Vancouver Island. Check out the website for more detailed description and schedule of races. It is a traditional Belgium race the occurs in the fall at the end of the serious summer road cycling racing. It involves an off-road circuit usually in the rain around a park with many obstacles along the way including sand traps, mud, stairs, and barriers to hurdle over. Any way to get through the course the fastest wins.  this includes dismounting and running with the bike over the shoulder. I enjoy it because of the relaxed atmosphere and the multitude of activities to occur in one race.   Technical off-road skills, power hill climbs, steep drops, and running with the bike are all part of the race.  Also, most importantly, it involves drinking brews and heckling from the sidelines. Many spills and tumbles occur but it is on sand, grass, mud and trail so rarely are serious injuries occurring.  The photos below are from the COTR Kona Kup in Nanaimo, Oct. 8th.  The video is by a friend Pelle Gustavs!



Barrier to dismount and carry bike over.

Hill climbs through trees
steep descents on bumpy contours 
Sand trap to run or ride through

No comments:

Post a Comment