Friday, August 23, 2019

Fat bikes and roadtrips


Finding the motivation to keep fitness a priority is a hard one to put my finger on. I don't know if I can say why I like to race other than I do like the fight for who can push themselves the furthest. But, a significant portion of it is just the process of training for a race that gets me through the roller coaster called life.

I rarely get the "ideal" training program completed in my mind. With picking up kids from school or daycare schedule, along with unplanned kids sicknesses or daycare closures (these both have higher priority in the grand master plan) I don't get what I set out to do. Also, I have a certain amount of responsibility at work to keep my business moving forward.

Sometimes it feels like I'm not moving forward with anything I do... just spinning my wheels and going about everything mediocre (or worse!). Possibly, however, this is just how it's going to have to be with where my life is at right now. And maybe it is the best training I will get for the next few years. I think sometimes that just the ability to train is a special gift.

This year I was put together a plan after my disappointing marathon this spring, the BMO Vancouver marathon. I exploded at 32km (of 42km!) and dragged my sorry (albeit cramping) ass around Stanley park to finish 20minutes off my goal. I did snag my Boston qualifier spot but not in a very exciting way and leaves me wanting more.

This summer has transitioned into the off-road triathlon race season. With the inaugural Whistler X, in chilly early June. I was able to hammer a great race, where finally everything was clicking, and nab the first Amateur spot and 10 minutes ahead of the next competitor.


Portland Xterra was on Aug. 8th and it turned into a summer road trip to let loose with a bunch of local guys. I had a stellar day and came away with 3rd overall amateur and I beat a few elites along the way. I did build some confidence from this even  and I even had my heavy plus sized tire bike to race.

Next up was the Provincials for Cross-triathlon at the Dodge City X, in Cumberland, BC which also happens to be the 2020 World Championships qualifier in Netherlands, my hinterland. The race went well, better than planned after a hiccup the week before injuring by hip/hamstring in a freak waterskiing accident (read dumbass move). I took the qualifier spot and the top step of the podium, with the unfortunate mechanical of my closest competitor and friend Clay.


No comments:

Post a Comment