Friday, June 24, 2011

Invitation to the National Team

Last week, I was pleasantly surprised to recieve and email from "Zeus" - the Canadian Olympic Committee's organization network. It requested my personal information including educational history and family names, sport history, favorite quotes, etc... At first glance I thought it was a scam, something looking for my banking information. A few hours later I was still thinking about it while I was at work...something more serious was brooding. Two days later, I had a meeting with Paul Hawksworth, the Rowing Canada Development Coach, and he confirmed my suspicion; due to my results at the Welland Canal Regatta I was invited to compete for the Canadian National Rowing team at the Pan-Am games. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait - is this all true? I had made the Senior National team?
I could not believe my ears... I had a smile from ear to ear. I wanted to just jump up and give Paul a big hug. I maintained my composure and waited until I was within the soundproof area of my car doors before starting the yelling and fist-pumping! I danced the robot with MSTRCRAFT for the entire drive to Georgie's Cafe... serious. All the winter training effort payed off. The first person I called was my Dad, it was a bit hard to hold it in, but I thought he would be a good starting place to tell people the official invitation to the team.
"First ask yourself, what you want; then do what you have to do"

No comments:

Post a Comment