Sunday, June 12, 2011

Results Welland May 28

The weekend in Welland turned out to be an eye opening experience. I feel it was a completely successful trip in all possibly ways.

Arriving into Toronto on the always lovely Red-eye flight from Victoria I was able to rent my car and pick up Coach Doug, all in 15minutes. We made a pit stop at Tim Hortons within 20min from Pearson International and were on the road making excellent time. Staying in the Niagara College dorms it was re-living college years, with my 64 yr old coach. The difference was that he was the one drinking all the booze...

Time trial Sat. AM I was third overall (that's including heavyweights) and 2nd lightweight. Semifinal heats were later Sat. afternoon and I ended up 3rd and continuing on to the "A" finals. In the Sunday morning finals I weighted in and was .4kg over... Another jog and pushups with all my clothes on. I passed with 73.96kg! .04 to spare.

The finals was a very close race and at 1000m to go I was just inches ahead in first place. Everyone had a strong push and I ended up 4th overall and 2nd Lightweight.

I was extremely happy with the results. I would like to have been first but another very quick lightweight, Travis King, was there to slide in ahead of me by just under 3 seconds.

This is all in hope to make the 2011 Senior National Team Canada for the Pan Am Games.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your hard work has certainly paid off Derek.
    Congratulations on such an amazing first season!!
    Cheers from Fernie, B.C.,
    the (Kurbis)Pulsifers

    ReplyDelete