Thursday, November 10, 2011

Bridge-town (Rose City)

Due to the many canals, lakes and rivers in the area there are countless antique bridges. On google maps I counted 11 within 4 km from Welland city centre. On the rowing-warm up course there are two! Many of these turn-of-the-century bridges are olde-style draw bridges because the large container ships needed to pass through the canal en route to the St. Lawrence seaway. For me, I like being around bridges, as I spent 4 years living in Bridgetown, USA aka Portland, OR, which by coincidence is also the "City of Roses" - but that is about it with the connections between the two places... I took a few shots below of the local bridges;

 


 

 


 



And yes, the locals like there bridges so much that there is a bridge model at the Historical Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment