Sunday, January 27, 2013

Cobble Hill 10km

"It got ugly out there" An old friend used to say after a race that involved a lot of grunt work. And, today was one of those races. I found it involved a bit of extra effort mentally to keep pushing myself to the finish line. Meanwhile, I was flailing all over the place and grinding everything out of it.
 What is it about the late stage of the race where you want to drop the pace and just walk it in for the last few km. Is there something wrong with my race strategy? Maybe I'm going out too hard? Maybe I don't have the fitness level that I think I have? Maybe I enjoy beer too much?  The questions will eventually need to be answered.

Well, today was a great race in chilly conditions up the road near Cowichan Bay.  It was put on by the Ceevacs road runners club. It is relatively flat but undulating with small inclines and descents all thought the race.  I found it hard to lock-on to a pace and I felt like someone who drives like my Grampa: with two feel, one on the brake one on the gas, constantly accelerating and slowing.
In the future I hope to improve on my speed (and pacing) and over the next few weeks leading into the longer races I can hammer the finish.
Next week is the Cedar 12km....and a few weeks later is the Courtenay 1/2 marathon!

www.drvinge.com



No comments:

Post a Comment