Sunday, January 27, 2013

Island Race Series - Saanichton 8km


 It is now the time of the year for the  Island Race Series (IRS - coincidentally!) supported by the Frontrunners running store. Luckily the island doesn't have below zero temperatures & frozen roads (very often) and a road racing series can start early January and run through till the end of April. Every two weeks a new race occurs around the South Vancouver Island from distances of 5km up to 1/2 marathon.

The first race was the Saanichton 8km around the country fields of the northern Saanich peninsula near the Victoria airport. The Prairie Inn Harriers put on the race with excellent logistics and organization!   It was a chilly 2 C when we arrived with frozen grass and ice in the ditches but the roads were clear and that is all the really mattered. I enjoy the chilly running temperatures of the winter & spring. It is nice to keep cool and not have to use excess energy trying to prevent overheating.


Synopsis on my race;  In the general summary I would say it was very good experience and I was happy with the results. It was right where I wanted to be with the time and pacing but I have an keen interest to place higher.  I feel that I should have been ready for more of the necessary pain-train. I think that in preparation, even a week before, I should have amped myself up for holding on to the upper limits for the long haul. Even though 8km really isn't that far it was the first race to get my body in the zone for road-racing. I have multiple excuses and reasons but it breaks it down to I need to understand what my race-pace speed is and find out how long I can hold on to it.

The next race is the Cobble Hill 10km (near Shawnigan Lake!) on Jan. 27th @ 11am. Join us.

I ended up 12th overall and got out sprinted by a new rival, Nick from FrontRunners. Thanks for the photos!


No comments:

Post a Comment