Monday, September 5, 2011

Sweeping out the Cobwebs

This past week I have been re-learning how to row, but one step ontop of that is rowing with a sweep blade; just one oar per body. I'm on port side, the right side of the boat looking from the front. Each rower has subtle differences in technique, from previous coaching style or personal preference, but the basic rule is; The boat will move through the water fastest when everyone in the boat has the same technique. Many little movements can change the overall set (balance) of the boat. After catching some video of myself in the 4- from this past week, I see that I have tons of little abhorrent movements that should be cut out, and a few movements/motions that I should be doing. Both these things will slow down the boat. I know that the guys I row with are powerful enough, we just need to work on matching up techniques. Overall, I'm very happy with the first week, and the things we are working on I understand completely.
I have 6 new blisters, completely due to sweep oars. And, my body hurts a bit, getting used to the twist/rotation around the oarlock pin, but I will get some active therapy this week to sort it out.


From the front: Travis, Me, Eric W., Terry
Video by CM.

No comments:

Post a Comment