Tuesday, October 4, 2011

One Week to Departure

Next Tuesday, Oct. 11th the PanAm Games Rowing team boards a flight to Mexico... Well, it turns out it will be 4 flights getting to stop-over in three different airports, making our way to Guadalajara. A day in the PanAm host city, and then we board a bus to Cuidad Guzman, on lake Zapotlan, a town of 80,000, 2hrs to the Southwest.

I'm getting very excited, but also a bit antsy about how everything will go down. We have prepared well, and the guys I'm in a boat with are in very good shape. There is nothing more that we can do, except keep our technique perfect and work on short Race-pace rates.

In the past few weeks I have noticed my body is starting to handle the high volume and intensity of full-time training. Even the "sweep" technique of twist/rotation around one pivot point has started to become familiar. I know immediately if the set of the boat is off, and I usually can key into what needs to be fixed if it isn't.

I explain to my patients at work (Lifemark Sports-Medicine) that I recommend it best NOT to use repetitive, rotation/twisting motions for long periods of time. Yet, this is exactly what rowing (not sculling) with one oar is! How do I justify this? Well, I feel that is important for me to go through the experience of what my patients feel during the course their conditions. I will put my body through obnoxious situations to find out what it exactly feels like and then describe in detail later on what has happened and come up with the best solution and treatment is to the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment