Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Value of Training


A recent trip to Royal Roads Univeristy to watch the Hatley Castle 8k running race I spotted an interesting "motivational message" posted on a huge billboard in the old military college gym. In my mind, it describes the process and benefit of everyday consistency in training.... and that is the true victory to carry forth into the future. It keeps my head up during the long hours of training that goes into the dark and wet times of the year.
Our training schedule was set out before us and we have to follow through with confidence that this will get us in shape for the summer racing series. A big part of this winter work is keeping the motivation and positive atmosphere going.  The past two weeks our coach(s) have gone to a training camp in California and we were given planned workouts each day but it is our own ambition to complete it with vigor.  To the most part the work was completed with excellence due to the fact the group of athletes I train with are very individually motivated personalities.
 I have felt after some long hard and wet workouts like I just want to crawl up in a ball and sleep for three months. I, however, often realize I need to quickly shower and go to work because I have patients booked long into the evening. At the end of these long days when I get home from work I realize I'm f#%*ing exhausted that I have a smile on my face for all the things I was able to accomplish. Luckily, I thoroughly enjoy my job!  So, in the end of it all, I hope I'm getting faster and more technically proficient at rowing.

The next important time-frame to work towards is the third week of March with the RADAR erg testing sessions and an on-water time-trial in early April. Till then, we will get true value for our training.

No comments:

Post a Comment