Monday, February 6, 2012

January Testing Revealed

The week of testing revealed a few interesting aspects of training that I didn't expect.   First, it gave me some objective training heart rate (HR) zones to hit for different training sessions.  Next, it gave me quality data that I could compare between this time and the last times. And thirdly, and most important, it gave me the confidence that I had the training effects from the previous 6 months of hard work to show that I have (in theory) the ability to pull off a top-level test.
The first session this past week we completed was the simple heart-rate step tesà la Kenny Wu. With a step wise incremental increasing of intensity for a 1000m distance on the erg we are able to compare HR from the previous sessions (Dec and Jan).  We recorded our HR at the end of each 1000m. Starting at 2:05 min/500m split on the erg and increasing to 2:00 Split, then 1:55, 1:50, 1:45, and finishing with 1:40. We then could see how at least our HR has decreased over the past few months with rigorous training. There is more information to be read into this test but the instant look is that my HR had reduced by 5-10 bpm for each intensity since the first session 2 months ago.

The second session was Lactate step-testing. With the use of the sport-physiology lab we were monitored every 3min on the erg (progressing intensity) with HR and blood lactate levels. Comparing the results from last time in a direct lactate threshold curve I have become more efficient at lower intensities before lactate shoots up.
*Image by CSC Pacific 

Within this lactate step-testing session the physiologists were able to reccommend training intensities with HR where optimum training effect can take effect. This will help out with future training goals. See below:

*Image by CSC Pacific

With the results from the HR and lactate step-tests I felt confident I could (again, in theory) complete the 2k and 6k erg tests with real improvements. Turns out that is exactly what happened. At least in the 6km I improved 20 seconds on my last attempt and 8 seconds off my last previous personal best. The 2km test stayed exactly the same at 6:16. I'm happy with both of them but I know they can still improve.

The next step was bringing this quality physiological and psychological training to the water this week with a double session of time-trails; the 2x2km in the single (1x) and the 2x2km in the pair (2-) with John Sasi.  And, in my mind, they were both a success! More on this later

No comments:

Post a Comment