Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 2

Monday, Nov. 22. AM peak-power tests (3stroke max. 10 stroke max) and 60min test.
5:35am: 10 min warmup, very cold in old erg room (-5 prob.) and I feel very cold. The test involves 2x of 3 strokes max power this is completed at two erg drag factors (Lightweight men of 120DF and 190DF). The second part is a 10 stroke max with a record of the first stroke and max stroke within the 10 stroke limit.
These are estimates - I need to get the exact watts from Coach Doug
A. 3 stroke test
1. 120 DF a) 650 b) 660
2. 190 DF a) 704 b) 630*

B. 10 Stroke test
1. a) 230 b)730
2. a) 255 b)806

* - at this point I tried to over extend my backwards to get extra watts and I sprained my R. SacroIliac joint (hip) this is my "achilles heel" and has been a re-current flair up over the past 3 years. I have been doing active rehab for it, but I need some active therapy (massage and regular chiro).

PM - 60min max. Now my back was hurting all day and it was a blizzard snowy day in Sooke. Roughly 10cm fell and the schools were cancelled. Tons of new patients walked into the clinic though, but that means extra lifting with physical exams and treatment. I enjoyed it but was worried about my hip! I got Dr. Brandon Cali to give me some treatment and it seemed to help immensely. After work I headed straight to the Elk Lake boathouse for a chat with coach Doug too see if I was fit to row....I felt that it would hurt too much to row. But, I did the WU to see how much restriction and pain I would be in, but it was great. Nothing really at all. So I started the 60min with Andy, Jerry and Dave. And had stop times at 20 or 30min if it hurt too much. All in all, 30 minutes down and I was feeling good. I wanted to maintain a split of 1:49 /500m and I did. The second half some compensating muscles in my back started to strain a bit - but I just maintained. Finish: 1:49.7 split avg, thats 16407m or 265W. Just fractions away from the National training centre time.
Afterthoughts: Morning power test is what I know I have to work on with a strength coach at the gym but it is really nice to get a baseline. Pissed off at my back strain - I don't, DO NOT, want this to be my limiting factor. Need get another opinion instead of just self-diagnosing myself. Afternoon 60min was a really good feeling to get it done even with a sore back. It showed me that I could blow the Gold standard out of the water. I know that is a cocky comment, but I truly feel that I could move it even more. It is mostly mental at this distance.


No comments:

Post a Comment