Thursday, November 4, 2010

HOE - Head of the Elk

On Halloween, Sunday Oct. 31st I completed my first race since moving to Victoria. It was what is called a "Head" race. It involves each boat combination (8's, Quads, Pairs, doubles, Singles) starting out in single file roughly every 15seconds to complete a longer-distance race. The HOE is 8km, but people said it is more like 7-7.5km. It circles the lake in a counter-clockwise rotation starting and finishing at the boathouse.

It was a glorious sunny warm day. I felt great as my heat was starting at 12:30pm, a nice sleep in. Warm-up and set-up was good, just a short loop around Hamsterly Beach. It was a bit chaotic with all the boats waiting in a group for the start.... boats pointing in every direction. Just as my start was pointed to go the wind picked up... in my mind to a white-cap-esque velocity heading north. It wasn't bad rowing with the wind, but it was the side-wind across the north side of the lake that I was really effected. I caught 5-10 crabs, missed every 5th stroke and at one point dropped a blade and was just balancing with one. After some frustration with my (lack) skills I tried to pull it together (literally). After turning around Point 1 (northern most point on the Lake) I found it much more relaxing and able to get into a rhythm. I did, for the rest of the race, have a spasm of my right wrist extensor muscles... I could not feather/square the blade correctly since the windy section. My balance was there, but I just had no dexterity with placement of the blade - I found out after it is common Head Race condition called "dead-arm" or "wood-arm". I passed 3 or 4 doubles, and a quad over the last 3-4km and finished with a strong push. I could not really get my legs into full power and I know I can go faster.

Lessons: work on balance in boat (in the wind), forearm strength and endurance, keeping calm.

Overall a great experience - I want more.

1 comment: