Saturday, January 14, 2012

Winter Rides On




Winter on the west coast is here to stay. I mean wet and sloppy days out in the dark are here. This morning there was even some snow around shore and on the dock. And again we have adapted our training to increase volume & intensity, this includes 3x/day workouts (most of them on the water). And, as with every change, it has brought with it aches and pains, frustration and complaints, along with tired and sore muscles. I like to think of it like building up the tolerance for activity and who knows how far you can go! I was certainly tired during the last workout this week. 
I keep coming back to the discussion I had with my lady-friend, Amber, on choosing to do an activity (see Simpsons reference below).  Every time I come home after a long wet workout, I catch myself complaining about the bad conditions/getting washed down/blisters/cutting corners/ etc etc ad infinitum.  I get  reprimanded and reminded that I CHOOSE this activity and how can I complain if I have the full choice to quit or not show up. I try to keep my negative-thoughts at a minimum but somewhere there is a life lesson in all this. 



 I have been extremely lucky this week by getting out on the water in the 4- and 2x with prior Olympians/World Champion rowers. Proper and efficient technique is my greatest challenge and by being able to get pointers and replicate the stroke of the more experienced (best in the world) I hope to move the boat more effectively.  This should all help in the near future where some time-trialing will be completed for seat selections and carding etc. 




No comments:

Post a Comment