Thursday, December 27, 2012

Mount Washington (Trip 1)

A truly amazing trip to Mount Washington this past weekend has set expectations for the next skiing adventure. We arrived on Friday night to 4m snowbanks lining the road up to the Alpine Village. We needed to transport our gear by sled to reach the Lodge. And, our lodgings were literally out the front door to the Cross-country ski trails. 
We stated at the Vancouver Island Mountain Centre (VIMC), a new beautiful building that is across the parking lot from Raven Lodge.  The group we stayed with had connections to the organization that runs the building. What a great place! I can't say enough about it. 

On the first morning I was able to go for a cross-country skate at sunrise, followed by a hot breakfast and hot coffee & baileys. We hit the downhill slopes at 9am and skied hard all day till 3:30pm closing. It had snowed 57cm in the past 24hrs, and was still dumping!  That evening I got another cross-country ski in and we went snowshoeing after dinner up the ridge behind the lodge. 

The next day was the same, but the sun showed its face, and we got powder runs with glorious blue skies. It really set something off in me, realizing that I need to get to more of this outdoor mountainous adventure. I have been trying to figure how I can get myself closer or more often to this environment ever since. 

VI Mountain Centre @ Mount Washington 
Powder fields on the steeps near the Boomerang Quad
VI Mountain Centre on a powder day. Amber is on the xc ski trails heading towards the lodge. 
My lovely wife getting ready to shred.
The sun trying to break though on snow covered trees.
Powder everywhere 
Richard and Amber on the abyss 
My car on the last day, time to dig out!
On our way home, we were sad to leave but excited for next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment